Porridge is hands down one of my favourite healthy breakfasts of all time.
Possibly even one of my favourite healthy foods.
But as great as oats are, there are some days where there is nothing better than a refreshing smoothie bowl. It makes for the perfect breakfast on these rare summer days in Scotland.
The simple addition of organic ceremonial grade matcha by Mematcha adds a number of health benefits. Not only is matcha rich in antioxidants it is also proven to improve concentration, awareness, focus and metabolism. So after an early start for a six am gym session I cannot think of anything better than refuelling with an energising organic matcha smoothie bowl. Matcha also acts as a mood booster (as if the sunny weather wasn’t enough!).
I love the fact that a smoothie bowl is that bit slightly thicker than a smoothie so I can take my time to savour it and feel satisfied afterwards. With the addition of toppings too allows you to keep it as simple as you want or go all out. So, let’s get to the important part, the recipe.
- 1 large banana, cut into chunks and frozen
- 1 cup spinach
- ½ kiwi, peeled and sliced
- ¼ - ½ cup plant based milk (oat, almond, or coconut milk for a richer smoothie)
- 1 tsp Mematcha ceremonial grade organic matcha
- Optional: date or frozen pineapple for added sweetness
- Add all your ingredients to the blender (I used a Nutribullet) in order listed. Add ¼ cup plant based milk to begin with.
- Blend until well combined.
- If required add additional plant based milk to reach desired consistency.
- Pour into your bowl for serving.
- Top with anything you fancy. In the pictured smoothie bowl I went for banana slices, raspberries, the other half of the kiwi and desiccated coconut.
Other topping ideas include nut butter, seeds, trail mix or other fresh berries which are in season.